Do you speak British or American English? Depending on your answer, you may differ on which spellings you favor. In short, fulfillment is an alternative form of fulfilment. Below we shortly discuss the use of the verbs in logistics context. For all logistics related terms visit our Wordbook.
Definition and Meaning of fulfillment / fulfilment
– The act of fulfilling.
– The state or quality of being fulfilled; completion; realization.
– The achievement of something desired, promised, or predicted.
– In logistics: The process of taking an order and sending a product to a customer
– The state of being fulfilled.
– The act of consummating a desire or promise.
– The activities performed once an order is received to fulfill the order; packaging, distributing and shipping goods.
– In logistics: The packing and dispatch of a customer’s order by a retailer.
Examples of Fulfillment in a Sentence
// We will only accept returns if a packing error has occurred during the fulfillment of your order.
Examples of Fulfilment in a Sentence
// Respiratory masks will now be mandatory for workers in distribution and fulfilment centers.
Order Fulfillment or Order Fulfilment
Both terms are correct. Wikipedia defines order fulfillment (in British English order fulfilment) as a complete process from point of sales inquiry to delivery of a product to the customer.
Sometimes order fulfillment is used to describe the more narrow act of distribution or the logistics function, however, in the broader sense it refers to the way firms respond to customer orders.
Product Fulfillment or Product Fulfilment
Both terms are correct. Product fulfillment is sometimes used as an alternative to order fulfillment (in British English product fulfilment). In essence, it is the process of taking an order and sending a product to a customer.
Service Fulfillment or Service Fulfilment
Both terms are correct. Service fulfillment (in British English: service fulfillment) involves a series of supply chain activities responsible for assembling and making services available to subscribers. Supply chain activities in service fulfillment involve the following processes:
- – Service design and cataloging
- – Integrated inventory management
- – Network configuration and capacity assignment
- – Service order entry, decomposition, workflow tracking and fallout resolution
- – Service order activation
Fulfillment house and fulfillment center (in British English: fulfillment house and fulfillment centre) are modern terms for a packing warehouse.
Fulfilment Center or Fulfilment Centre – Which Is Right?
Center and centre have the same meaning. Center is the correct spelling in American English, but British English writers usually prefer centre. Thus in British English the correct term is fulfilment centre.
Notice that center (and centre) can be a noun, adjective, or a verb.
Fulfillment Center or Fulfillment Centre?
Following the logic discussed above – the correct term in American English is fulfillment center. Using the term “fulfilment center” is not considered correct in either form of English..
Why we are writing about this? Waredock is a cross-border fulfillment and warehousing company offering services in Europe and US. As these terms often get misspelled we wanted to highlight this difference for non-English speakers. Feel free to drop us a message here to learn more about Waredock and on-demand warehousing.